Thursday, March 20, 2014

Lynn's Crosses

The quilting group that I belong to are making some quilts to donate to a charity auction later in the year to raise funds for our local Hospice.  A member of our group passed away a couple of years ago after a long battle with cancer, and the idea grew after her husband decided to donate her stash and unfinished projects to our group in order for us to finish some quilts and donate them on.  We've had other donations since then, and many of us have been very busy! 

I decided to make a quilt from my stash with our dear friend in mind.  She was a very spiritual person and so the idea of some sort of cross design seemed obvious.  I've been a bit worried that people at the auction would only be interested in traditional quilts, so I took a trip to the shops to have a look at colours in homewares, in an effort to make something saleable.  I decided on pink, yellow and grey on various off white backgrounds. 

So I've been cutting, sewing, pressing and trimming.  

I don't always press seams open but decided that it would help the quilt top lie flatter, especially as I used a mix of cottons and linen/cotton mixes for the backgrounds.

A few of my blocks.  I love that cloud print!  It's from Bark and Branch by Eloise Renouf for Cloud 9. I used quite a mix of prints from my stash, especially quite a few pink Valori Wells prints from her Wrenly line.  I'd been saving them for a special quilt.  I can't think of any quilt more special than this one, a memorial to my dear friend Lynn.  


1 comment:

  1. Cute block! Hmm easy block, I am thinking leaders and enders!

    ReplyDelete