I met a friend for coffee and a trip to Spotlight today. So I thought I'd better make a list of all the quilt flimsies that I've made, check what size wadding pieces I have at home and work out how much I am going to need to buy. I was amazed to find that I have eight quilt tops waiting to be quilted! I have three pieces of wadding that are the right size, so I need quite a few metres of wadding for the remaining five!
We got to Spotlight and were very happy to find that they had all DS Fabrics 50% off. So after enjoying the thrill of the hunt to get a few that I didn't have, I completely forgot to get any wadding. I've got plenty to do so it's not really a problem but I do wonder about how easily distracted I am when faced with pretty material!
I finished up these two quilt tops at Sewjourn, one is a long term WIP and the other I started from scratch and finished the same day.
This quilt was started at Sewjourn about 18 months ago. It's a pattern by Ashley at Film in the Fridge which she made to showcase Tufted Tweets fabric when it was released, called Unfurnished. It is available free on the Robert Kaufman website. I call my version my Sweet Unfurnished Meadow, as the print fabrics are all from Sandi Henderson's Meadowsweet and Farmer's Market lines. Meadowsweet has long been a favourite of mine, and I have quite a stash of it! Making this quilt has not made much of an impression on it. I also used some lovely shot cottons, and the background is an off white Kona I think.
The pattern was much harder than I thought, and as you can see it still doesn't lie very flat. I'm hoping that quilting it with a stipple pattern will improve it.
The fabrics are actually brighter than these photos, very citrusy and fresh. I've made it for myself and I'm happy with the design and my fabric choices.
This quilt is a pattern I've made before that is so much fun to put together, especially as it uses on only 8 fat quarters of fabric and the equivalent of a background. You can see my previous one here. The pattern is Through the Trees by Kate Conklin.
I chose my fabrics around the four prints from the line Too Muchery by Helen Dardik. The warm chocolate brown background is a Spotlight Prima. I've used Prima solids for a few projects now and really like them, they are soft and not too thin, and they are available in a good colour range.
I think I will put a border on this, maybe 5 or 6 inches of the background so that the coloured fabrics are not on the edge of the quilt.
I'm hoping to get some binding onto a quilt tonight so I can enter it into the Festival of Half Square Triangles. The binding is all ready cut out, just have to put it together. There is also a bit of quilting to unpick on this particular project, so I'll be busy!